Monday, January 16, 2012

Book Title Story

Another writing group segment. This was we were given the task of creating a piece of writing using a number of book titles. I cheated a little, it was meant to be a pile with no manipulation but I skipped over a couple I didn't think I could do anything with.

The books were:

WITHOUT REMORSE by Tom Clancy
DEBT OF HONOUR by Tom Clancy
RAINBOW SIX by Tom Clancy
TEETH OF THE TIGER by Tom Clancy
INCOMPETENCE by Rob Grant
BLACK HOUSE by Stephen King and Peter Straub
DEAD EVEN by Brad Meltzer
FIRST COUNSEL by Brad Meltzer
MILLIONAIRES by Brad Meltzer
ZERO GAME by Brad Meltzer
BROKEN ANGELS by Richard Morgan
GOOD OMENS by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett
ICURAS HUNT by Timothy Zahn
BETTER THAN LIFE by Grant Naylor
BACKWARDS by Grant Naylor

It was Icarus Hunt that finally gave me an angle on what to do. This is what I came up with:

We call it the ZERO GAME. We cater for MILLIONAIRES and billionaires that are looking for something a bit different, something that offers more than just the TEETH OF THE TIGER, something BETTER THAN LIFE.
This one felt different though. the vision of BROKEN ANGELS I'd had the night before wasn't exactly what I'd call GOOD OMENS for our upcoming ICARUS HUNT. But as FIRST COUNSEL I had a DEBT OF HONOUR to the organisers to see it through.
Genetically engineered prey. Scientists cook up mythical creatures in a lab. Rich people hunt them for a kill that they will be the only person in history to ever claim. Many called it genius. They had it BACKWARDS, it was INCOMPETENCE. You can't go messing with nature and expect nothing to go wrong.
I knew it wouldn't be long till until someone was hurt or DEAD, EVEN. But here at the BLACK HOUSE we gathered and as I looked across at a the artificially generated RAINBOW, SIX of them declared they were ready. We set off. I just prayed it wouldn't be me.

No comments: